Happy 1st day of June! It’s almost Spring here now. Hard to believe but, there are buds on the trees haha.
We just got back from a hilly 5 miler.
The elevation change looked like this (those hills were HARD):
Since I haven’t posted in awhile, I feel like I should update you on some important life events.
1. Bella got a new bed. She is obviously happy about it.
2. We went to Twillingate for a wedding and it was beautiful (and cold).
Please put this place on your Newfoundland bucket list!
3. We went for an epic trail run on the East Coast Trail.
4. I’ve decided to run a marathon!
I’ve decided on the Niagara Falls International Marathon for several reasons:
- It’s flat, which (I hope) will lessen the physical demands a smidge.
- I’ve run the half marathon before, which I’m hoping will help with the mental piece.
- It’s a BEAUTIFUL course.
- And, how many chances do you get to run across the Canada – United States border?!
I’ve decided to use a training plan from Runner’s World. I’ve used one of their half-marathon training plans in the past and it worked out well for me so, I’ve decided to give one of their marathon training plans a try this time around. It’s a 16 week plan that I will be starting the last week of June.
I think the biggest challenge for me will be getting my runs in during some pretty busy months. I think I just need to sit down with a calendar and plan things out (#structuralpersonality). I think I’m also going to need to do some experimenting to see what works best for me in terms of strength training. I do a “pre-hab” (as my physiotherapist likes to call it) routine for my glutes every day because I’ve been a little prone to ITB flares in the past, but I obviously want to make sure I’m strengthening my core, arms and other parts of my lower body to make sure that I’m as strong as possible for the marathon. If anyone is interested in knowing more about my pre-hab routine, let me know and I’d be happy to share it!
Have a great rest of the week everyone! Training updates in t-3 weeks!